Pasta with Summer Squash
We’re into the last full month of summer and we’ve still got a lot of summer produce to enjoy. Here is a great recipe you can cook up in a matter of minutes.
1 pound orecchiette (*)
6 ounces fresh goat cheese
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 pound green and yellow squash, very thinly sliced
Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups finely chopped mint leaves and stems
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until just al dente.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water to a small bowl and stir in the goat cheese until smooth, set aside
- Drain the pasta.
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the stick of butter over moderately high heat until it turns brown and smells like roasted nuts, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Add the zuchinni, and yellow squash
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute, until just tender.
- Add the pasta, goat cheese sauce, mint and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and serve.
(*) You can substitute shells if you prefer, use salted butter and/or table salt, if that is all you have, and but try not to skip the mint the first time you try it! Note: green squash is also known as zucchini or courgettes.